Following up from my Microstrategy Symposium report which you can find here: pulse Linkedin, I will now take you on a journey of discovery to allow you to experience the process of setting up a predictive analysis system first-hand.
Before we delve into the kinetics of such an enterprise, lets have a quick look at the potencial components and set them up on our machine…
Microstrategy Desktop 10.3
At the frontend, we have the latest version of Microstrategy Desktop 10.3 although to be fair, the tool is a lot more than a mere frontend as it also has the Intelligent Server and therefore Analytical Engine integrated. I will take you through the steps to install the demo version on your machine to complete this workshop in just a moment.
If you already have Microstrategy installed, just make sure you are on the latest version or at least version 10.2 – you can check that easily by executing the ‘Microstrategy Desktop‘ application and clicking on ‘Help‘ in the Menu bar > Check for Updates as seen below:
If however you do not already have Microstrategy Desktop installed, a quick way to achieve this is to surf to the Symposium page as follows :
From there, choose the next best symposium date and click on ‘View event details‘ :
then, from the top of the page, click on ‘Workshops‘:
From this page, you can download both Microstrategy Desktop and the workshops supporting files :
Download and installing ‘R’
The next stage will be to download and install R from the link below:
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/ if using another OS
- From this page, click on the following link :
- Proceed through the installation process until the following screen at select “Next” whilst keeping the default “No” on the radio button.
- Keep all default settings and click “yes” on the User Access Control (UAC) pop-up window.
- Click on “Finish“
Downloading and installing R Integration Pack
- To download R Integration Pack, click on the link: https://rintegrationpack.codeplex.com/releases/view/611948
- On the web page, locate and click on the version.
- In “Downloads folder“, double click on the icon to start installation.
- On the pop-up, click on “Run“.
- Click “Next“.
- Select the radio button “I accept the terms in the license agreement” and click “Next“.
- Click on “Install“.
- On the User Access Control (UAC) pop-up window, click “Yes“.
- Click on “Finish” to complete the installation.
Downloading R script files and creating Metric Expressions
- Download the R, kMeansClustering.R and StepwiseLogistic.R files along with their documentation(PDF) from Supporting Files folder.
- Make sure these files are saved in your Downloads folder. By default downloaded files are saved in the Downloads folder ( C:\Users\<yourusername>\Downloads)
- Also download the txt, kMeansClustering.txt and StepwiseLogistic.txt files from the dropbox location.
- These files contain the Metric Expressions which we will copy while creating metrics in MicroStrategy.
- Open the PairwiseCorr.txt file.
- Replace the Highlighted field with your UserName and Save & Close the text file.
- Repeat the above procedure for kMeansClustering.txt and StepwiseLogistic.txt files.
- These expressions need to be copy-pasted later in MicroStrategy for creating Metrics.
Downloading D3JS visualization
- Find the plugins from the Suppporting Files folder.
- Right click on the folder and click “Extract All“.
- In the pop-up that appears, click on “Extract“.
- After the files are extracted, you will see the extracted folder, double click on that folder and copy all the folders inside it to the path below >> C:\Program Files\MicroStrategy\MicroStrategy Desktop\code\Plugins
- The plugin folder is not present by default and you need to manually create it under the “code” directory.
This concludes Part 1 and allows us to enter Part 2 with all the tools necessary. See you there!
Written by Stephane Rodicq